Sunday, November 15, 2015

Adrienne-What and How am I Thinking about my Shared Topic?

            The first over-night exposed me to different thinking than I had been doing alone. I learned a little about different aspects of Vermont’s Department of Children and Families and the changes that need to be made within the organization. While this problem is definitely interesting to me, I would still like to focus on my original issue. I don’t say this out of disregard for the multitude of issues involved in the topic of foster care in Vermont, but because I don’t want to compromise my personal goals just because this project became unexpectedly group-oriented.
            I’m not sure if my thinking on the issues regarding life in foster care have changed, but I attribute this stagnant thought to the fact that I haven’t done much research in the past couple weeks. My first objective after the over-night was to establish contact with a social worker and possibly find contacts through them. This was only partially accomplished; I’ve found a pair of promising e-mail addresses, but because it was so late in the week I decided to postpone initial contact until Monday the 16th.
            During future research, I’d like to answer a variety of questions I have about foster care in Vermont. What are the best and worst outcomes of life in foster care? How can we minimize these worst outcomes? What factors lead to placement in foster care and how can they be eradicated? What problems do children face after leaving foster care, and while in it?
            I think I’ll be able to answer some of these questions be gathering information from a variety of people within the foster care system. Some helpful sources may be social workers (both current and retired), foster parents, employees of the Department of Children and Families, and maybe even foster children themselves. I would really love to communicate with children in the current foster care system or those who have recently emerged from it because they have the insight I need to answer my questions. Information from other sources is valuable, but children will be able to give me direct insight into their lives. However, I doubt that this will be possible.
            In the future I plan on conducting interviews with at least one social worker and a DCF worker. These are my minimum goals for interviewing, and I’m open to conducting more. However, I believe online correspondence is also a valuable resource, and has the added benefit of requiring less planning and no travel involved. I’ll be initiating contact with the social workers I mentioned above in the next couple days.

            Although I haven’t made much progress over the past weeks, I believe that a Google Hangout with my group this evening will inspire me to get cracking. I look forward to hearing about my group-mates accomplishments and working together to accomplish our common objective in the next few months.

4 comments:

  1. Adrienne:
    My wife, Courtney, who is also a member of What's the Story, has a colleague at school who is in the process of working with DCF to become a foster parent. He mentioned that he would be glad to speak to you guys about the process. Please get in touch with me if you want me to help you set up an interview.

    Try to get a specific contact for a social worker and a DCF worker and then make plans to meet or talk to them ASAP. Also, you'll definitely want to explore talking with someone from the State, which is what funds DCF. That person will know more about budget and particular laws within DCF. Lastly, make sure you speak to school administrators, as they deal with this on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the delayed response; I don't receive e-mail notifications for comments.

      I've established contact with Alix Gibson, the administrator at St. Albans' branch of DCF and am in the process of organizing an interview with her. I've also e-mailed a social worker, but they haven't yet responded.

      I would love to get in contact with your colleague, please e-mail me at axledoux@fcsuvt.org with contact details. I'll make sure to look into talking with someone in Montpelier and possibly one of my school's guidance counselors.

      Delete
  2. Adrienne:
    I really like where you're planning on going with this research and I just wanted to point something out. In your fourth paragraph, you question who you should ask about the foster care system and believe some helpful sources might be, "...social workers (both current and retired)," however, I feel I should point out that if you choose to question a retired worker then your findings might not be so up to date if you were to interview a current one. It might be nice to compare what they know but ultimately, since you say that you "...plan on conducting interviews with at least one social worker..." it might be a better idea to choose the current social worker if it comes down to a choice.
    Also, in addition to your own questions, I wanted to suggest a few questions of my own that you could possibly use as you see fit. For example, you might want to ask what life is like for those in the foster care system. What are some of the issues that foster care children face while in the system? Who register to take care of these foster kids?
    I hope I've helped in even the slightest bit and I'm really excited to see what the outcome of your research and interviews. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insight, I hadn't considered that aspect of it. I'll be sure to consider information that I receive from retired social workers carefully, and interview current social workers as well.

      I'll try to answer those questions during my interviews, I'm sure they'll yield valuable insight!

      Delete