Monday, November 16, 2015

Alex- What I am thinking about my new topic.

In all honesty my views of the topic itself have not changed at least in the sense that i have made no profound discoveries, I have had no eye-opening interviews or seen some fact that changed my views on life. Instead my thinking is changing in the logistical sense, when I went into the overnight I was a lone wolf, going at this alone. By the end of the day however I was joined by four other people who are passionate for the issue and now everything is changing. Changing not in the topic itself but rather how we go about attacking it, the massive switch from one person to five changes the logistics of this project immensely. Nearly all the changes are good ones, we now have five times the interviewers, five times the researchers, and five times as many minds working together to solve problems. This is a great addition, but the point of this blog post to me at least is not to extol what we already have, but rather to puzzle out what issues may have arisen, because hearing what you are already doing right is never as as helpful as hearing what you can make better. The biggest issue in my mind right now is the media kit. We have fewer media kits than we do people and we as well as the group members who are the farthest afield, and this leads to serious issues in these critical months when we are interviewing a myriad of people. I cannot speak for the rest of us but I know that my phone and my school camcorders are not high enough quality for this project, and with media kits so spread out, I am rather stuck. The only idea I have to solve this would be if we as a team scheduled it so each person did all of their interviews withing a 1-2 week slot and at the end of that time they would meat with the next member and pass off the kit relay style. This still involves a fair amount of driving, but it would be a vast improvement over having to bounce the kit back and forth again and again to get to each persons single interviews. Along with this ever-looming issue, the other piece that lays heavy on my mind is who i am going to interview. A of today I have made contact with potential interviewees including an administrator and a case worker at our local DCF office, a long time therapist who specializes in children with home and family issues, and a recent graduate from my school who now works in the Barre office. While I am beginning to talk with these people, I am hesitant to set up an interview until we (the group) set up a plan to schedule the use of the recording equipment. Until then I will simply continue to talk to these people and brainstorm a mess of interview questions.




6 comments:

  1. Alex,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You're right, having five brains to work on this is quite exciting.

    How about this weekend during our Google Hangout (7 pm on Sunday again) we make a schedule for the media kit and a plan for how to transport the kit. I'll ask Tim about obtaining a second one for our group.

    In the meantime, I think you should be preparing interview questions. Did you see the note on Canvas about the two types of interview questions? Do read that if you have not; I found it helpful.

    See you Sunday!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a spare kit at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex,

    As one of your original blog readers, I am, selfishly, glad that you will continue to pursue this topic. I hope you can work out the logistics of obtaining the spare kit Tim has, so that the schedule of interviews and your group sharing is less onerous.

    As far as getting going with actual interviews and getting acclimated to the media kits, I recommend that you consider an initial interview with the adult in your building that opened your eyes to the myriad challenges DCF case workers and families face. You will learn a lot about the art of interviewing by just starting the process and you will also record your original source of inspiration, which in turn might translate into material for the actual final documentary, whatever collaborative story that might entail. Tim has provided two awesome interview questions to consider asking, and that I think will help you design your own additional ones.

    If you proceed with Colleen's rec to start preparing your questions, feel free to share them here, so your readers can see them.

    As a group, it might be helpful to start a collective google doc with 'prepared' interview questions, followed up with 'actual' amended, on the spot interview questions.

    One of the great treats of digital recording is that you do not have to take any notes, other than ideas for follow-up questions when interviews take unexpected yet compelling turns.

    Best wishes,
    Kate Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete