Sunday, November 29, 2015

Marianna Barrett - #2: Interview & Storytelling; Goal Setting



                   

           For the exploration of a source provided, I chose Brian Reed's video "The Craft of Storytelling."  This was a very interesting video to watch and I think that I learned quite a bit.  He talked about the three things that are essential to a good story, be it a radio show or just a fun story to tell your friends.  These three things are Action, Reflection, and Stakes, without these, a good story becomes nondescript and boring.
           This is some of what I learned from this video.  The first element-Action is the process of the story; it is how the story moves.  The second one- Reflection.  This is where the storyteller can get inside a persons head and really make them care what is going on in the story.  The last one is Stakes.  This is the big question in the story. It is what makes people keep listening to what you are saying.
            I really liked how Brian Reed told us about these elements.  All of the different pieces of shows that he gave us really helped me to understand what he was talking about.  With all of the different points that he made, my favorite was this one about what a story should do- "It should make a larger point about the human experience and about the world"

            My personal goals for the next three weeks are going to be setting up more video interviews with people and figuring out what my next steps should be.  I am having a little bit of trouble contacting people, so far I have only one interview set up and am still not sure if I will be able to video tape it.  However, I do have some sources that should be willing to do so.  For my groups goals, I think that for now we are just focusing on getting footage for our documentary so that we can focus more on other things that need to be done later in the year.
           There are problems that I had that have been figured out though.  One of these was access to the media kit.  Like Alex was talking about in his last post, I was really worried about not having nice enough equipment that I could get from the local high school.  However, I got access to a video camera from the school that should work just fine, if not perfectly.
          I am very excited about how much progress my group is having.  While it might not be as much as we would all like, we are still getting the things that need to be done done.  So while we still have work to do, this should be a very profitable adventure for all of us.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Marianna.
    So how do you apply Brian Reed's ideas to your video? That's the burning question. Does he give enough of a spine that the group could agree to set up your video that way? Or take a look at Lydia's blog because the source she looked at compared video making to writing a book.
    It's great to think of a structure where all these ideas can fit.
    Talk to you Sunday at 7 pm.
    Best,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marianna,

    I am curious if you have developed any questions for your first interview. Also, if videotaping is not possible, still ask about audio recording. Sometimes interviewees feel more comfortable with just their voice. And a powerful audio script can be spliced with other visual footage that helps you as the creator of the media product think more consciously about your composition process, and the particular elements story-telling you have read about.

    When your group meets, I also recommend that you consider creating a shared Google Doc of evolving interview questions that you plan to ask and then actually ask in your various interviews. Mr. O'Leary provided you all with 2 'rock star' questions that he encourages students to ask. Having all the recording equipment frees you from note-taking, and affords more of an opportunity to be more flexible/fluid as an interviewer, such that impromptu questions often trigger some of the most engaging, relevant, and/or insightful information. Sharing these on the spot questions with each other in said google doc might be useful.

    I look forward to hearing how your group's check-in on Sunday can all help you move forward in your documentation process.

    Best wishes,
    Kate Carroll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      In response to your question about the interviews, we do have a shared google doc for our possible interview questions. I have found this very helpful in writing my interview questions as you can make new questions out of the ones in the doc, or they will inspire you to think of new questions.
      All of my interviewees have been able to be interviewed, but even though they were fantastic interviews, most of the footage is unusable as I do not have the proper equipment for this project.
      Sadly, I missed the meeting last Sunday due to unforeseen events. But I do think that it went well.

      Thank you so much for your comment, it was very helpful. -Marianna

      Delete
  3. Marianna,

    I hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family!

    Getting tips on interviewing and watching interviews are great ideas to learn how to do it yourself. I follow the Humans of NY guy on Facebook. It’s so moving how in one picture, you learn so much about people just through a few quotes. How he gets people to open up to him and provide such moving details of their lives is amazing….Check them out when you get a chance.

    When is your first interview schedule and with whom? I’ll be routing for you! And keep trying to schedule others; you’ll make it happen. Before your first interview, maybe you can do a run through with a family member so you’re comfortable with setting up and asking your questions.

    Did your group discuss an overarching theme or question(s) that you want to find out about while interviewing? I would think if you had some common goals it would be easier to tell your stories with some cohesiveness at the end. Looking forward to hearing more next time!

    Best, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne,
      Thanks so much for your comment, it provided a few great things for me to think about.
      As a fellow follower of the HONY page, I also think that it is amazing how he captures people in his photography.
      I had my first interview with an elderly lady who had fostered children for 46 years. She told me that she had had at least 1500 kids go through her home. It was truly inspiring to talk to her and hear about her experiences with the system.
      I am not sure what our group goal is for right now, though I am sure we will discover what it might be very soon.

      Thank you -Marianna

      Delete
  4. Hi Marianna,
    Thinking about your topic and writing down the questions to ask is important to getting ready to interview people on the subject matter. Practice, practice, practice your public speaking in front of a mirror prior to doing your first interview. Don’t be shy, think positive, and be confident in the discussion you are having with the interviewee.
    Hope all of this works out for you. Have a safe and happy holidays.

    Ralph Mellecker.

    ReplyDelete