Sunday, December 27, 2015

Marianna-Reflection on the learning process


    This course is very different from any of the other ones that I have taken, either online, self taught or at the high school, I have always had someone there to check in more regularly than this class can provide.  Even with people watching over my shoulder, I have become a very independent learner, so the larger teamwork aspect of this class, while something that I do have some experience with, took some getting used to.  I think that this is very good for me, I have advanced in many skills that might not have been my strongest points.  One of the biggest differences is the notifications just a few days before the assignments are due.  This has made it difficult for me to get them done on time, but I think that I have coped fairly well.
    I think that some of the benefits of this kind of course are getting to learn how to work with a group that does not see each other very regularly. Also working with the deadlines and working out your own interviews and meeting times can be great practice for the real world. You just don't get that kind of experience in regular school. The drawbacks for me are not being able to have regular updates on my progress and grades.  This usually helps me to know when I need to step up my work, and with this class I do not have that ability.
    I already had an idea of how my learning style works.  However this class has solidified that my brain needs to see and hear things in order to remember them.  Another thing that was brought more into the light was that without lists and deadlines I get so off track that it gets very difficult to catch up with my school work or personal life.
    I think that I will apply what I have learned about myself and learning in the form of lists and post-it notes.  In order to stay with the class for the rest of the time,  I will really have to apply myself and start making more deadlines.  I will also have to put myself out there in my group more.  
    In order to keep on track with the rest of the class I will have to continue to make lists of what needs to happen, and I will try my hardest to add the deadline component to my work.  Among the different things that I will have to do differently, I will have to try and stay in contact with the other people in my group more efficiently than I have been.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Marianna,

    As you can see, we all struggle with meeting deadlines, especially when they occur during a school vacation! :)

    I am glad Mr. O'Leary created this blog post at this point in the year. Requiring each participant to reflect on how the structure is working and/or not working and how each individual might redirect as a result will not only benefit this current learning process but also your own learning in the future. If I remember correctly, you are home-schooled. If yes, then you are already way ahead of many middle and high school students that are provided a 6 hour structure each week day.

    Regarding your comments about lists/post-ts, I know one individual whom I watched grow up (who has been a set decorator and is now becoming a production designer for major motion pictures) who credits keeping lists as the single most important habit she has developed not to just stay sane and function, but actually thrive; her myriad lists allow her to juggle said films along with running her own art studio, working on commercials, and doing her own art.

    If I am understanding you correctly, you have benefited in the past from deadlines being broken down into smaller chunks, and as the structure of this course is not set up this way, you are figuring out how to do it for yourself along with managing other school work and personal life. Again, I think it's pretty awesome that you are already consciously working on this at age ~13/14.

    I wonder how personal list making to aid with deadlines can translate digitally for members of a team. After the next ftf meeting, it might be worth discussing a 'way' for your team to figure out how you will to this . . .

    On a goofy note, if you have can take a photo of a list layout/structure/format that serves you well, it would be fun to see!

    Thanks for sharing and happy New Year,
    Kate Carroll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,

      Thank you again for taking the time to comment. Yes, I am homeschooled, and this has provided me with an interesting aspect on this class. However, I do take a few classes at the local high school, so I am not totally ignorant in the ways of school, though I do try and avoid it.
      This person sounds pretty amazing. While list do not get me quite that far in my life, they come very close to it.
      And as to the type of lists that work best for me, it is a type of journal called a "bullet journal." You can buy special notebooks just for this, but I just use a graph book.

      Thank you!
      -Marianna

      Delete
  2. Marianna,
    Happy New Year! I see that you have been working through the holiday break. Reflecting on how you learn and what type of learner you are is a skill that will serve you well. I already think you are one step ahead of most high schoolers with the range of courses that you have been able to do so far including this one. I definitely want to encourage you to stay in contact with members of your group in the next two weeks. Being informed about each other’s individual work ahead of the next overnight will enhance that collaboration and move the project forward.
    Best,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete