Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Adrienne-Reflecting on the Process

                My experience with What’s the Story has been vastly different from my typical classroom experience.  In the classroom, students are passive and have no need for personal drive. With this project, initiative is the key; without personal interest, nothing in one’s project is accomplished.

This course is better than traditional learning in some ways. It allows students to pursue their own interests and create their own persuasive pieces in the form of videos. Students can work independently and then come together to combine their work into cohesive, well-rounded pieces, allowing both individual work and group collaboration. Work schedules are entirely up to the individual, which helps to teach self-discipline and focus.

In contrast with these positive aspects, some students may struggle with the skills so much that their project is not up to their personal standards. While this is not a problem for me, I once forgot about a blog post until Sunday evening, when it required me to converse with a few people and combine those conversations and analyze them. Because of this, I spent the next week preparing for both the late post and the one for the following weekend. This self-directed component, while appealing, has shown to lead to forgetfulness on my part. Those who have trouble with shyness and professionalism may have difficulty conducting interviews or even arranging them. The practice this project provides on that front may help reduce those issues, though. I know that I am often shy, and I was concerned about that aspect of the project from the very beginning.  However, the two interviews I’ve conducted so far have proven that worry mostly unfounded; I feel relatively confident that the interviews went well.

Through this project, I’ve learned that I’m able to take initiative and arrange interviews. However, since this project is only half-done I know I still have plenty to learn about myself.  I’ll try going into further interviews with a bit more confidence. Thankfully I’ve become more adept at remembering my blog deadlines, so I don’t think that that’s a problem I need to be overly concerned about. But I remember during the meet-up in Starksboro I had trouble being patient with the unexpected collaboration. Whether my impatience was due to fatigue or my introverted nature, I know I need to be more patient in next month’s meet-up.

Continuing through this project, I plan to conduct more interviews. In the following meet-ups, I’ll need to be more relaxed and patient with my group members. Other than that issue, I think the remainder of my project will be successful. I’m looking forward to the next meet-up and seeing what my other group members have accomplished!

3 comments:

  1. Adrienne,

    Thank you for your thoughtful responses. Isn't it interesting to see how some of the benefits of this course can also be a drawback? The independence of this course, as you noted, can be a wonderful way to learn and grow as a learner and a person, but sometimes that independence can certainly lead to forgetfulness or procrastination (which is certainly not your problem! But for some...).

    I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your ability to go out and interview complete strangers! I know this was difficult for you, but I am excited that you already feel more confident.

    You are an absolutely amazing asset (like my alliteration?) to this team and I cannot wait to see and hear all about your interviews when we see each other next month.

    Happy New Year!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne:
    I love reading these Blog #4 posts. They force you all into meta-ish learning -- that is to say, they force you to reflect on how you learn rather than the learning itself. I'm so glad that you're finding some benefits in this unconventional classroom, and it's extremely important that you can pinpoint the struggles/drawbacks, too, so that you can attempt to avoid them as you move forward.

    Your posts and work so far have been great. I wonder, though, how much your group is communicating? You mention that you're excited to see what the others have done and produced, so I'm just curious to know how much collaboration has happened among you all? I mention this only because I think your meeting in January will be much stronger if you all have a conversation or two BEFORE you get there rather than going in blind as to what everyone else has done.

    In any case, it looks like you're really benefiting from this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My group isn't communicating as much as I'd like; that's not to say we aren't in contact with each other, but I don't really know much about the others' activity other than remembering one interview of Marianna's and seeing some of Lydia's footage when I got a media kit from her. I have no clue what everyone else is doing, but we have a Hangout planned for tomorrow evening, so I suppose I could ask then.

      Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete