Sunday, December 13, 2015

Marianna-Filming Techniques & Aesthetics; Citing Evidence/Thesis

         For this weeks post, I watched most of the footage that was provided for us, as well as read the other articles.  My favorite one was “Michael Moore’s 13 Rules for Making Documentary Films.” .  It highlighted a lot of things that I had not really thought about before.  Not having watched a lot of documentarys, it was very interesting to learn about what he thought about how they should be made.  After reading this article I watched the “10 Steps for Shooting Your First DIY Interview."What really made this great for me is that I could see quite a few of the points that Michael Moore brought up in his article in this short little instruction video.
       In this paragraph I will review  “Michael Moore’s 13 Rules for Making Documentary Films.”   This article was my personal favorite to read.
        One of the things that he talked about that I found most interesting was the use of humor in documentarys.  This was never something that I had ever considered; when I thought of documentarys I thought of a long, boring lecture, there was never any humor involved in these films.
       Thinking back on the videos that were provided, humor played a huge role in these.  Without it, they would have been dull and I would most likely not be writing about them.  And I do understand that sometimes there needs to be a more serious aspect to these topics, it is wonderful to have a laugh at them sometimes.
                         “10 Steps for Shooting Your First DIY Interview” Vimeo Video School.
                                      “Video 101: Shooting Basics” Vimeo Video School.
                     “Michael Moore’s 13 Rules for Making Documentary Films.” Indiewire.com.

         The story that I would like to pursue more is foster parents and foster kids experiences with the foster system.  So far I have only interviewed two people with very different perspectives on this topic.  The first person I had an interview with had experience with the system that she described as not very positive.  However, she was an older lady, and was telling me about experiences that happened up to 40 years ago.  The other lady that I spoke with is a very recent foster and adoptive parent and she says that she has had nothing but positive experiences with them.  Now, these two could not currently have any more different stories.  However, I would like to see a pattern emerge within the story that we are going to be telling about how the foster system has evolved over the years and how it has advanced to what it is today.  I also hope to talk to some social workers who might be able to tell me about what they would still like to see changed with how the process works.
         While this is a side of the story that I would like to do more with, there are many other different paths that this could take that would be fasinating to go down.

6 comments:

  1. Marianna,

    Well, first of all, congratulations on doing your first two interviews! Woohoo! How did it go? How was using the equipment? Did you have any technical difficulty?

    I like your idea of a ‘that was then…this is now’ type of perspective on the foster care system. I think as your group begins to formulate the ‘story’ that you want to tell that should be considered as an option.

    What types of evidence did the interviewees bring up that makes their experiences so different. What specifically has changed?

    I like your idea of being taken through a how the system works. I’m sure it could be a scary process in itself not only with the unknown.

    Maybe your documentary could be used to de-mystify the process. Things to think about with your group as you move your thinking forward.

    Always great to see how your project is evolving...thanks!

    Best,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my posts, it really does mean a lot to me.
      The equipment that I was using did not work well at all, so I actually had to get a new camera and all of the other equipment. This means that I have to redo some of my interviews and have to book as many others as I can.
      I think that the main difference in the interviewees stories was the time difference. One had been working 60 years ago, while the other has only been doing it for two years.
      I am very glad you like my idea for the documentary, and your additions to it are fantastic. I will bring them up at our next meet for sure.
      Can not wait to hear from you next time!
      -Marianna

      Delete
  2. Hi Marianna,

    I am sorry that your equipment for your interviews did not produce usable footage. Down the road, do you think any of your interviewees would be amenable to a follow-up interview if once your group has articulated the path/thread of your story for the documentary and you think some of the previous interview will help tell that story?

    Concerning your current post, I am most curious/would like to hear more about your commment why you feel that highlighting the evolution of the foster care system in Vermont is essential to the story. What triggered it? Why is it important in terms of effecting change. Just really interested to know what details and process led you to this idea and how and why you might go about creating the media material for it.

    Thanks,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,

      In response to your question about if I will be able to redo any of my interviews, I think that I can do one, but I still have to contact her. I also have Another one ready for after Christmas break is over.

      And for your second question, the difference in the stories of the people that I interviewed made me wonder how the system changed. I would love to see that brought into the light more.

      Thank you for your comments, I can not wait to hear from you next time.
      -Marianna

      Delete
    2. Do you see any glimmers of actual explicit changes in the system itself that is weighing on DCF's current ability to serve the needs of those in its care and/or are you just thinking there might be some. In other words, I am wondering what specifically prompted the thought across the interviews.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete