Saturday, October 31, 2015

Adrienne's Reflection

                Over the past day, I’ve learned that we’ll be working in groups. This has changed my perception of WTS as a whole, and also jumpstarted me into developing a new vision for the project I had in mind. I’ve also learned about the topics of others, and what’s important to them. Conferring with my new team members has helped me see many new angles on my topic, the struggles of children living in foster care. Although I had had knowledge about these issues, I didn’t think I’d ever go very in-depth with them. Through the investigations of my team members, I’m sure that I’ll learn more than I planned.

                In the next two months, I look forward to establishing contact with social workers and foster parents and learning from them. I’m nervous about interviews, because I’m concerned that I’ll be unable to work the technology as deftly as I could. I think bringing a more tech-savvy person along with me could help to resolve any of these issues that may crop up. As a shy person, I’m also concerned about the social aspect of it. I hope that my reticence won’t obstruct my objectives. I don’t have many connections relating to foster care, so I may need to rely on my Human Services teacher as a resource. Through her, though, I’m sure I can find a plethora of useful people to interview.

                Before I form a long-term goal with this project, I think I’ll need to gather a large amount of information in order to gain a “big-picture” understanding of the issues surrounding Vermont’s DCF and its foster care system. Only after gaining a more complete understanding of the organization and the people it affects can I hope to start any sort of change.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Adrienne.
    So glad to get to know you a bit over Halloween weekend. Hard to believe that this happened over a week and a half ago.
    I wonder how your research is going. You are being wise to gather information before hand so you can have more information from which to craft questions. Have you touched base with your Human Services teacher yet?
    I also appreciate your concerns about tech and being a shy person. (I unfortunately am an extrovert). I am wondering if maybe you could bring a friend on the first interview. Not to do the interview, but just to offer moral support on the way to and congratulations after. I know that I have been impressed by your thoughtfulness in the two meetings we have had. I am sure anyone you interviewed would have similar experiences.
    Looking forward to seeing you at Google Hangouts - 7 p.m. this Sunday.

    Best,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete