Saturday, October 31, 2015

Marianna Barrett- Overnight retreat: Initial thoughts on our group topic

  What type of learning is happening here?  I think that we are all getting a better understanding of how to work in teams of people that we might not have normally worked with.  We are also learning how we can get our topics out there and really make a difference with them.


    I have learned how a group of people who live in very different areas can work together to accomplish a common goal.  I have also figured out that with all these different ideas, not all of them will come to light, but they should.  The more ideas about how to solve a problem, and the more discussion around that issue, the faster it can be solved.


     I am really looking forward to getting to know the people that I am working with better, and working with them.  I am also looking forward to expanding what I know about our topic. It is a difficult subject to work on, but it should be a lot of fun, and we should learn a lot along the way.  I look forward to doing more research on this topic.


      I am concerned about how difficult it will be to keep in touch during the time we will be working together.  I am also worried about being able to work the technology aspect of this work.  It was not hard to do during the first part of the class, but now that we are getting more advanced with the tech I might have some difficulty.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marianna,
    Seems like our weekend at Starksboro happened a long time ago - yet what a great 24 hours it was! I was struck by how the group - especially the students - morphed into a more cohesive unit by the end of the weekend.
    I think that between meetings if we can keep up the conversation via emails or hangouts that will help. We will need to be specific about being in touch. I respect that you were the first one to get things rolling. Good for you.
    The tech part is also a concern for me, but one thing I have learned from these teachers that if you ask for help from either other students or the other teachers, people will jump to help. Think of all the new things you'll learn!!
    See you at the hangout on Sunday. Best - Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianna,

    I love this comment: “I have learned how a group of people who live in very different areas can work together to accomplish a common goal.” Maybe use your location as a starting point to highlight what is going in the foster care system in your part of VT. How many kids are in foster care in the particular areas where each of you live? Then take a story within your part of Vermont to focus on the issue and how it is being dealt with around the state to connect it back.
    Use your different locations to support your common goal as you said!

    Best,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete