Sunday, January 10, 2016

Lydia- #5- Whats the ACTUAL Story?

Hi my loyal blog readers. Hope you all had a great holiday vacation and a happy New Year. I certainly did!

There’s no reason to say that my target would be the people at DCF because that's not logical. All those people already know its a problem. That’s why I think the target would be the people, everyone. When I talk to older friends of my parents they realize that there is a problem within the DCF but they only know the outer layer. They only think about the social workers who go crazy and are suicidal after working with the DCF because of what their job requires. But there's a lot more to that, and if that's all people really think about when they think DCF then that's the real problem. That’s where everyone comes in. This project isn’t based on pointing blame it's based on getting the knowledge of the problem out there. People need to know it’s a problem before anything else. While getting the problem out I would like people to understand the message of this project. I want the message of this project to be “help” I want people to see and understand that there is more of a problem then everyone is letting on. That the DCF needs help whether or not they want to admit it. I think that the audience can do a lot just by knowing that there is a problem, so I think after the problem is out there I really want them to go with it. See what they can do at their sons or daughters school, see if anything needs to be done at VT DCF and simply help out. I think that after everyone knows the whole story the can’t help but feel bad and want to help.

That’s why I am doing this. I felt bad after hearing those few presentations about DCF. And I really wanted to see a change. I not only felt bad for the children who have to go through all of this and experience these things, I also felt bad for the social workers. I could never imagine having to do a job like that. The constant stress, pain and sorrow feeling for the children, and being overworked. I don’t know how anyone could ever do that. After really thinking about how horrible it must be to experience those things I decided that I really wanted to help out.

I want people to feel like they could relate to this. or atleast picture themselves in their shoes. So I might start with a few pictures or videos of kids. Some of good times and some of bad times so they can understand it’s not always fun and dandy. I would then want to place the videos of interviews with social workers. I want this in the middle so the people who are watching can get both points of view. I want to show not just the struggles of the children but also the struggles and pain that the social workers go through. I would probably end with ways that people can help and more pictures and videos of social workers and kids working together.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lydia,

    Thank you for your impassioned post. I see your work with WtS helping you to grow and become aware of difficult issues. I wonder where this urge to help will take you. Is it possible that you can envision a future working to improve people's lives through your writing? Hmmm. Something to think about.

    I think the DCF group will be able to "get the knowledge of the problem out there" through its documentary. It's true that everyone should know about this, but I would challenge you to think more specifically of what group would be most likely to catch your passion and try to make a change. What you want is ownership. You said it yourself- "See what they can do at their sons or daughters school." All WtS students have an advantage because you are young. When your group presents - to whomever- the audience is going to scratch their heads and say "These are teenagers who are holding up the mirror about how we need to solve this problem." This is going to give you amazing power. So - who can make a difference in this situation? A group of parents from a community that has many children in the DCF system? Or conversely, a community that doesn't have a lot of kids in the system? These might be the people who realize that kids in the system need support from all adults in Vermont. (After all, don't we pride ourselves on what a great state we are?)

    You are also learning that blaming is not going to help either. Your post reflects understanding of the impossible situation that social workers are in. "I want to show not just the struggles of the children but also the struggles and pain that the social worker." Your documentary may make social workers feel appreciated and respected - what a gift.

    Having written this I realize that your group is going to need to sharply define your audience. It's clear that you can't reach two groups efficiently. So - between now and Saturday - think deeply about which group would be the best audience for your work. Then be prepared to sell your perspective to your group.

    Take care Lydia. See you soon.
    Your faithful Blog Reader,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lydia,

    One thing I realize from reading your post is that you've been doing a lot of work. You write, " I felt bad after hearing those few presentations about DCF" and "I would then want to place the videos of interviews with social workers." This makes me realize that you've been having -- or will soon be having --some great experiences related to your topic. One interesting aspect of mentoring one group, but reading the blogs of other groups, is that one never has the "full picture" of what a WtS student is up to. I am excited to see you at our upcoming retreat and listen in on some of your group's conversations. It sounds like you've been doing a lot.

    This quote from your blog gets to the heart of WtS: "This project isn’t based on pointing blame it's based on getting the knowledge of the problem out there." I totally agree with this statement -- it's an important realization. You mention that "everyone" is the target of your work, which seems right. However, I agree with Laurie to a certain degree. It's great to spread the word in general, but it's also important to consider who, in seeing your work, would be most likely, able or willing to initiate a change?

    I have a question: if you had a magic wand, what changes would YOU make to the DCF system? Your answer can't be eliminate the need for DCF in Vermont (that would be amazing, but unrealistic and too easy of a question to answer:) I see that you are becoming more and more familiar with the multitude of disconnects in the system, and I'm wondering if you are able to highlight any target areas for improvement?

    Like I said, I'm eager to see you this weekend!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,

    I feel like a bit of an outsider in this entire project because I am essentially just reading your blog once a week and am likely not as clear as the other readers (Laurie, Courtney) are with regards to what your final product will be for this project. So, having said all of that, I am a bit confused as to what you are talking about. I will be brief and outline what I am confused about.

    Also, it is perfectly normal for you to be confused about your focus and also to be feeling a bit overwhelmed. That is normal and healthy when doing a big, and complex, project like this, and do not be afraid to voice this to your teachers; you are in great hands!

    What is the issue at DCF?
    How is this problem visible? DCF workers getting attacked? Are DCF workers voicing concerns? Are kids being let down by DCF, which is supposed to help them? News stories?

    Once you establish what you think the problem is and how you know it is a problem. Then you can think about how it can be addressed (more funding? more exposure to the difficulties of DCF workers?) And then about how to present this in a multimedia project.

    I like what you said about how you want people to be able to feel like they can relate. That is important, and believe me everybody can relate to this. We were all kids once and know just how difficult it can be, either from personal experience or from others’. Kids are sacred in our society and people know this.

    Good luck Lydia and don’t leave the weekend retreat without a clear understanding of how you will progress with this project. A very important skill to learn, one that will serve you for the rest of your life, is how to articulate (voice clearly) your concerns and confusions about a topic and make sure that you get the answers you need in order to do your job well. Don’t leave confused! Leave feeling confident and ready to go! You are a talker, you’ll be fine.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete